The Emerging Generations team discuss the need to understand the culture that our young people are steeped in so that we can be more effective in communicating biblical truth about sexuality.
We look at Jonathan Haidt's moral matrix to understand the values that shape our young peoples' moral decisions and see that they care about harm, fairness and freedom. We reflect on how we can listen well, find common ground and show how the Bible ultimately answers the questions that young people care about.
This episode features a bonus interview with Mike Snowdon who has 15 years of experience as a youth pastor, speaker, student worker and resource creator.
- Where are your teens in terms of sexuality? What are the specific ideas they hold to?
- What’s the impact of these ideas on individuals, gay or straight?
- How might you begin to respond to the messages of our culture?
Resources mentioned and related
- Youth Leaders' Crash Course podcast page (including Moral Matrix graphic)
- The Righteous Mind Jonathan Haidt
- The Ultimate Heartstopper Andrew Bunt
- iGen Jean M. Twenge
- Different for Boys: A Review Ed Shaw
- A New Freedom Mike Snowdon
- A New Freedom website
- Help - I’m a Youth Leader! Ed Shaw
- Release Patrick Ness
- Sex Education Netflix